Huevos rancheros is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish that consists of eggs, beans, tortillas, and a tomato chili-based sauce. This recipe replaces the sauce with jam made from Divine Flavor grape tomatoes!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
– 1 Tablespoon olive oil
– 1 Pound Divine Flavor grape tomatoes
– 1 Whole jalapeno, seeded and sliced
– 1 Whole onion, sliced
– 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
– ½ Teaspoon garlic powder
– ½ Teaspoon onion powder
– ¼ Teaspoon smoked paprika
– ¼ Teaspoon cumin
– ¼ Teaspoon chili powder
– 1/3 Cup apple cider vinegar
– 1/3 Cup honey
– 1 Can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
– ½ Lime, juiced
– 12 small yellow corn tortillas
– 6 Whole eggs
– 2 Whole avocados, skin removed and sliced for serving
– Cilantro for garnish
– Queso Fresco for garnish
For the jam:
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot or cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add tomatoes, sliced jalapeno, sliced onion, and cook until the tomatoes begin to blister, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes, jalapenos, and onions to a food processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until chunky smooth.
- Add back to the pan and cook on a simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
- Serve or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
For the Huevos Rancheros:
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add black beans and lime juice, and cook over medium heat until the beans are warmed through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm but set aside.
- In a nonstick pan, drizzle in a teaspoon of olive oil, just enough to grease the pan. Warm tortillas over medium heat for 30 seconds and remove to a serving dish, layering two together per serving.
- Cook eggs sunny side up in the same pan with a drizzle of olive oil, about 3 minutes.
- To assemble, stack the tortillas, two per serving, and top with black beans, tomato jam, cooked eggs, and garnish with sliced avocado, cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco.
From the kitchen of www.divineflavor.com/kitchen/